Friday, January 4, 2008

ITALIAN MEATLOAF

I halved this recipe because I didn't want leftovers. I also made a few substitutions (see *'s). Great flavor although I will be serving next time with some sort of marinara or pasta sauce on top (an idea I had because I LOVE sauce!). I wouldn't recommend baking it on though. Sauce is meant to be liquid!

2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup tomato juice (* i used leftover roasted tomato sauce from THIS recipe)
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
2 lb. lean ground beef
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs (* i used grated Parmesan cheese)
2 tblsp. parsley (* used basil)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 small garlic clove, minced

Mix together above ingredients like meatloaf. Lay out a piece of foil and pat meatloaf mixture into a rectangle (about 10x12 in) on foil.

8 thin slices of ham
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese (* i used a bit more to put on the top during last 10 min.)

Arrange ham slices on top of meat, leaving side margins. Sprinkle with cheese. Starting from smaller side of rectangle, roll meatloaf like a jelly roll. Seal ends. Bake in 9x13 inch pan (transfer from foil) at 350 degrees for 75 minutes.

~recipe from Lissa Rogers ~

0 comments: