Sunday, December 2, 2007

LETTUCE WRAPS

Yes, we have been eating, Just not cooking! We have been out of town for the weekend so of course nothing was "just made" until today . Not exactly a standard Sunday meal but getting home late this afternoon we just wanted something quick and easy .....

We like to call these "Chinese Tacos" (lettuce doesn't go over too well with my kids!). I make these a bit different than the original recipe & will note my changes below with an ** :


Special Sauce for pouring over the lettuce wraps:
¼ cup sugar
½ cup water
2 tblsp. Soy sauce
2 tblsp. Rice vinegar
2 tblsp. Ketchup
1 tblsp. Lemon juice
1/8 tsp. Sesame oil
1 tblsp. Chinese hot mustard
1 to 3 tblsp. Garlic chili paste (to taste)

Stir-fry sauce:
2 tblsp. Soy sauce
2 tblsp. Brown sugar
½ tsp. Rice vinegar

Stir-fry:
3 tblsp. Vegetable oil
2 chicken breast fillets, cut up ** I use 1 lb. ground turkey instead to make them more like tacos **
1 cup minced water chestnuts (1 tuna-sized small can) **I omit these **
2/3 cup canned straw mushrooms ** I use 1/4 cup very finely chopped fresh mushrooms to the meat when frying - they are absolutely undetected in the ground meat! **
3 tblsp. Chopped green onions ** I don't use these with the meat but put on the side as an optional "topping" **
1 tsp. Minced garlic (1 clove) ** I just sprinkle the meat with garlic salt (to taste, about 1 1/2 tsp) while cooking **

1 head iceberg lettuce ** I always use Romaine leaves - just chop the bottom off, and they make perfect "taco" shells! **
** I shred 2 peeled carrots into fine little shreds and tell my kids it is "carrot cheese" ... they put them on the top and eat! **
**I also boil one package of Top Ramen noodles - no seasoning packet! - and serve as a topping **

Slice iceberg lettuce into cups by cutting head of lettuce in half. Mix the special sauce and refrigerate until ready to serve and spoon over your lettuce wraps. Bring 2 tblsp. Oil to high heat and saute chicken. Prepare stir-fry sauce; add water chestnuts, mushrooms, onion, garlic, chicken & stir-fry sauce together and saute until thoroughly cooked. Spoon chicken and vegetables into a lettuce leaf/cup. Add special sauce and wrap it like a burrito. Serve with leftover special sauce for dipping. ** I serve everything up just like do it yourself tacos - a bowl for each topping (meat mixture, shredded carrots, sauce, noodles, and lettuce shells. **

~ original recipe from Jessie Riley ~

0 comments: